Monday, January 31, 2011

Books, books, books…

Disclaimer: if you follow me on Facebook or Goodreads this will be repeat info, but too good not to share!

I have been hibernating and READING!!

It has been a long cold winter with more snow than we get in 2  years just in the month of December!

I have read many books and have an entire bookshelf  of “to reads”!

Here are a few you really should not miss!!

4667024

This is an amazing book. I was lucky enough to read it around MLK Day and really had a lot to relate to it from my own background living in the south. I am always amazed how close and yet how far I am from the Segregation times. READ IT! The characters and places are so well written you feel you are there!

7937233

The Help and this one The Scent of Rain and Lightning were both picked for me in my book club. What great books. This one is a great mystery and you will never guess the end! DO NOT READ THE END FIRST!! It will be so much better to not know!

4666058

This book is amazing! It is written as a series of letters and you get to know the entire cast by the letters written by them. It has made everyone who read it want to sit and take up the lost art of letter writing!  From a quick “will you have dinner with me” to searches for long lost friends, this book is a funny and sweet story of England after WWII! I couldn’t have enjoyed it more!

7994902

This book I found at Target. It had a recommendation from Sarah Addison Allen, one of my most favorite author, so I bbought it! It is a wonderful , fictional, tale based on the people around Alice in Wonderland. The book is from the girl Alice’s point of view about her life and how the book and relationship with Luis Carroll made her life, not her own. It is a wonderful look at the Victorian era!

6723017

I finally finished this! It is a really great book, I just seemed to have more to read the entire time I was reading this. I finished it on 12/29! I was not going to the new year with it unfinished!! It is a wonderful story of three generations of women in a family and how this one garden brought them all together and finally to happiness. It is great with so many twists you cannot wait to find out which path it is going to take! I have one more by Kate Morton and have it on my to read shelf!!

4836308

This is my current read and as with all in this set is in different time periods you have to go back to go forward. The writing is well done and her description of the dialect in Massachusetts, you can hear it in the speech! Good considering I am from North Carolina! I am really enjoying it!! I hope to spend more time on it this week as the birthday celebrations are over!

I hope you try one or all of these and I hope you enjoy them half as much as I did!

Happy reading!

Hugs, Lisa

12 comments:

  1. I find it so funny that you follow me reading books. I have another Kate Morton if you want... I wouldn't dream about telling you the end of the forgotten garden :-) Athough I found the start a bit hum..... wrong, only cos I know my history and geography. :-)
    As for Alice. your talking to someone who was born just where Alice was born. I have always loved Alice... so from her point of view... hum... might have to pass that one over this side of the pond Lisa :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to write down your book list. I read The Help and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society!! I loved both of them. Have you read Water for Elephants and Apehouse yet? They were very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa!
    I have been crawling into bed a bit early (not tonight, LOL) with a yummy cup of tea and doing a lot of reading myself lately. One of my all time favorite things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO MY PRECIOUS FRIEND,
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS AND GENTLE THOUGHTS FOR KORBI AND LEILA'S FAMILY AND FRIENDS. IT IS SO VERY SAD AND SO FULL OF FAMILY POLITICS...THAT MAKE IT EVEN SADDER.
    IT WAS SOOOOO WONDERFUL TO HEAR FROM YOU.
    I LOVED SEEING WHAT BOOKS YOU WERE NOW READING...THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN SOUNDS WONDERFUL.
    I AM HAPPY THAT WE BOTH SHARE THE FRIENDSHIP OF SOGGIBOTTOM...SHE IS AN AWESOME LADY.
    ANGEL HUGS TO YOU
    THANK YOU FOR BEING THE SWEETHEART YOU ARE.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa

    So glad to hear from you again. Just finished The Help my self and wanted it to go on.

    Enjoy and stay warm!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  6. These all sound great! That's what I need to do. Hole up and read.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest girl, I wanted to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day! Hope to hear from you soon

    Deanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa
    Gosh strange writing on here since we do more often on Facebook! I've only read the Guernsey last summer, but loved it! I have such a stack waiting to be read, but need to get the house a tad more organized and get more firm footing writing these darn theory papers! I will have to jot some of these down for summer. I'm planning three things for summer,paint, get my lawn back and read!!Hang in there! P.S Kitty still is some on the thin side, but still doing fairly fine. She still is a picky eater, so I hope for the best each day for her. Love,Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Midge sent me over from Soggibottom. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm just finishing up several books and starting to ponder what to read next. You've given me some good ideas.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just trundled over here from Soggibottom....
    I used to live in Guernsey many years ago - there are some fascinating stories about the Channel Islands during & after the war and the book really captures the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lots of great books, i must get alice~

    ReplyDelete