Monday, June 21, 2010

DIY Help

I am going to change my furniture in my room to the set that I got for free last fall.

My set is marked 1970’s but the style goes back to the ‘50s.

Here is the bed

100_0996

This shows the best overall view of the style.

I  like the style, and the white. But I am wondering if I would like it painted a different color.

100_0997 This is the back so not in as bad of shape as it looks. I would paint this side too.

100_0998

Some of the “damage”. The worst part that you can almost see here is the yellowing if the paint. Real reason I would paint at all.

  I have a long dresser with 6 drawers 3x3.

A tall dresser, and a nightstand.

Not all of the pieces match exactly so painting may work well. The hardware is also different.  Rebecca @ A Gathering of Thoughts did a great redo on a set recently back to all white and it is great.

I just had the thought to do the pieces different colors.

A light green for the bed, Pink dressers, and the night stand white?

(wanted to show sample colors but between the internet turning off on me and the paint company sites wanting your life history and a photo scanned in??? NOT HELPFUL. I couldn’t find examples)

Also if you painted them would you get rid of the detail

100_0996

This is a part I love of the style. Should I paint it back in, if I use different colors should I use the coordinating color to outline it?

I will just finally jump in and do it I was just wondering what you guys think since you are great with these things ;)

So if you have any great ideas please share, I could use more inspiration. Any good light pastel, pink, green, good whites please share!

Thanks ♥

Hugs, Lisa

10 comments:

  1. Just thinking out loud.. Painting the pieces different yet coordinating colors I think would look great. Painting the trims all the same color would unify the pieces. Did that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I have twenty some year old french provincial furniture, I sanded and painted it all chocolate brown an spray painted the handles all pewter.....it looks amazing from the before and after...the only thing I need to do is paint a coating of varnish because the dust wants to stick to it. I didn't think I would need varnish because I used glossy paint but I guess I still do....
    Good Luck!!!
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some cabinets in a bathroom that are white, and I picked out the detailing in pink and loved it! Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Lisa, and be sure to share your final product with us!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I thought youo'd say you wanted pink...lol but pastels would be cool. What color are your walls??I personally like whie maybe with gold trim. Good luck...and be sure and share what you do!

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I love the idea of painting the pieces in different pastel colors! And I like that detail, and think it would look great highlighted. Ok, that's my opinion. Now go paint it the way YOU want to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think a pale yellow with a touch of those other colors would be so sweet n feminine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Lisa, what a beautiful bed!!! I'm in LOVE with white right now, so that's my vote for all. Peaceful, serene, crisp! Oh, and I like that the knobs don't match...makes it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Score 10 points for Lisa! If it was me, I'd just paint over it in White and apply one of those cool shabby appliques like a rose swag or something! (or at least I'd dream about it for a long time before actually doing it!) I think you could still see the "detail" if you paint over it. I think trying to paint it a diff color would be hard for me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's darling, I think I had the exact same bed as a child! :-)

    Have a wonderful Tuesday!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, I think I would go all white~what a great set...and FREE

    ReplyDelete